Transcription is done to covert audio format (Spoken words) into written text format for a particular use. It is mainly done to provide it as proof in the court. Many extensive interviews or hearings of courts get transcribed. There are different types of Transcription available in the market.
What is Transcription?
Transcription includes audio and video files into well-written text documented files. It is a perfect conversion of words from audio text format. Transcriber needs to convert conversation as it is, as it has happened. There are different types of Transcription available.
What are the types of Transcription?
Different transcribers do different types of Transcription. Each types of Transcription is done for other purposes or situations.
Lawyers and everyone who works alongside them typically have a lot more work and work long with essential documents, interviews, and even court recordings. Legal Transcription helps them to get easy-to-read text documents. From all types of transcription, this transcription type is specialized and accurate transcriptions do this Transcription.
It is the process of transcribing any type of legal proceeding from the spoken word into a written text document. Legal Transcription includes testimonies, official court hearings, interrogations, client letters, legal briefs, and general legal correspondence.
The court reporter does Real-time Transcription with a computer equipped with the software. This software is capable of translating stenographic symbols into words. It is often done at depositions and trials to permit attorneys to give a rough transcript of the testimony and court proceedings.
Businesses can use live captioning and Transcription for many situations in real-time like live videos, webinars, podcasts, events, conferences, speaking engagements, phone calls, meetings, training sessions, etc.
Verbatim Transcription includes more words that can be audible. It accurately records all of the information conveyed by an audio file or a video file. This Transcription includes things like stutters, false starts, repetitions, interjections, sighs, coughs, sneezes, background noise, and emotions.
To get a clear context, people usually choose verbatim Transcription. Compared to other types of transcriptions, it can be easier to understand. None of the transcriptions can beat verbatim for a completely accurate report of the whole scenario with emotions. It is primarily used for court proceedings, police investigations, interviews for legal purposes, market research and university research programs, psychology reports, and data analysis.
In this types of Transcription, the output will be only relevant parts of the audio file: just the words in the text. Edited Transcription is also called the kind of Transcription in music. Like verbatim Transcription, it won’t include shuttering, exclamation, or any of the other things.
The transcriber correctly chooses which bits of the audio are the most relevant. It requires a perfect understanding of which bits of the audio or video can be drop out without altering the meaning. Compared to the verbatim version, this types of Transcription is much cleaner to look at and easier to read.
It is suitable for interviews for publication, speeches, conferences, seminars, business communications, and meeting minutes.
Intelligent Transcription is much like Edited Transcription. Requires a highly experienced transcriber to do it. It does not include any stuttering, pauses or emotions, etc. It helps to convey the message more clearly by having some small paragraphs of what was in actual.
Intelligent Transcription will be easy to read and grammatically correct and written in complete sentences. It is more suitable for business communications, medicine fields, and publication interviews.
What are the Transcription Software?
- Transcribe + Type Notes: It can play videos and type transcription in the same window.
- Work with Digital Video + Audio: It stores media where you want and it can play audio and video files from hard drive, flash drive, CD, server, or URL (HTML 5).
- Mouse-Free Media Controls: It can control media playbacks with precision using custom media controls, including playback speed and timeline scrubbing. You can use custom shortcuts to trigger any media control.
- Export Transcription: Easily share transcription and save time to share transcripts via file or email.
- Multiple Languages in the same Document: You can use different languages in the same document.
- Unlock Work With Artificial Intelligence: Put audio or video file and get complete transcription in a minutes. It can accept any format of .mp3, .mp4, .m4a, .aac, .wma, .avi, .wav, .mov.
- Find what Matters: It can find, understand, verify, and share key moments. Within the editor, one can highlight, comment, and polish to perfection in seconds.
- Work and Collaborate Remotely: You can collaborate with teams anywhere in the world. Easily move to the next step in workflows through a range of export formats like .docx, .srt, .vtt, .txt, .stl, .edl, .html, .xml, .csv.
- Convert audio to text with Automatic Transcription: Its state-of-the-art machine transcription converts audio to text in minutes.
- Converts speech to text via fast & Accurate Dictation: No need to type, it can convert what you will speak.
- Tightly Integrated Play & Editor: You can slow down audio, auto-loop it, and can use the built-in text-expander.
- Foot Pedal Integration: To transcribe by connecting your foot pedal, it can control audio playback using your foot.
- Automatic Transcription: It has an automatic transcription feature that generates accurate automatic transcription.
- Advanced Punctuation: It can automatically add a full stop, commas, interrogation, and exclamation marks.
- Fast: It transcribes files audio to text in just a few minutes and normally takes half the file length.
- Speaker Identification: Automatically paragraphs get to create when the speaker gets changes. You can add the speaker’s name with the click of a button.
Transcription is the best way to convert the conversation into a proper text format. So stay tuned for more information about Transcription.
What are the Transcription Challenges?
Resource Selection Retention
Finding qualified local resources to help with transcription and quality control can be challenging. This depends on the language and deadlines. To meet client deadlines, most of our transcription projects require 25-30 dedicated resources to meet client deadlines.
For each language, teams are required:
The Resource Manager will identify, select, and interview the most suitable people for the project.
There is a requirement of transcribers to transcribe the audio.
Lead QA and linguist for the required Quality Assurance checks
Project manager for senior management to ensure smooth operation of the project
It can be challenging to produce professional-quality transcription. It all depends on what type of transcriptions are in need. This can make it tedious and frustrating for resources.
Audio is the major element in transcription and it incorporates some difficulties. The followings are a few factors that can affect the difficulty of transcribing audio content:
The poor quality of the audio
Knowing whether the dialogue is scripted or unscripted is essential, for example, Call center conversations
The content of the audio
The low quality of the speaker’s voice in the audio
Different accents and dialects
Most of the transcription files we receive are unscripted conversations. As such, the quality of the content can be low, with only a small percentage of it getting use.
We encounter these issues because, while the audio is primarily natural, it does not contain any conversations.
Too much background noise can cause inaudible speech
We have two teams to address these challenges: an Evaluation team and a Quality Assurance group.
We document any content that is not usable and report it to our client
Requests for new files are evaluation and approval
This implementation ensures a constant flow of audio. Trying to listen or re-listen would only delay our transcribers. Throughput would also decrease.
Quality Assurance Team
This team validates each file before it is delivered to clients. It ensures that specific rules are followed and that the quality of transcriptions meets expectations.
The outputs of transcribers are verified daily with our verification tools. Knowledge is transfer between the teams frequently.
These evaluations show that poor performers in terms of quality output or throughputs are either retrained to meet quality expectations and maintain schedules or replaced with recruits.
We need to develop training plans and supporting documentation for every project, as most transcribers don’t have any previous experience with validation and client transcriber tools.
Some examples of content included in our transcription training are:
Segmenting conversation breakpoints/natural borders (maximum lengths established by clients’ engineers).
Different voices in conversations can be mark
Regional variant vocabulary and jargon:
Tagging unintelligible content and heavily accented speech
The rules of acronyms and abbreviations: Explaining them
Tag interjections, hesitations in the conversation, conversational pauses, etc.
Learn keyboard shortcuts, spellchecker, and dictionary functions for smooth transcription
Identifying known bugs prior
Because the various transcriber tools needed may not be one that dedicated transcribers are familiar with, teams must be well-versed in their operation and limitations.
Clients may have particular rules, which can cause delays in getting the project start. Our in-house QA team regularly checks the files of each transcriber and provides reports to help streamline and improve the process. Skype groups and shared query docs allow teams to share valuable information throughout projects quickly.
Because of the sensitive nature and potential for customers’ information to be exchanged, we must ensure that our clients have high-security requirements.
Audio and transcribed material must be stored in a secure network. NDA agreements with all resources involved in projects must also be established.
SFTP folders can create using password-protected access areas
Without authorization, content cannot remove from our network
Our resources cannot download files, which can cause problems depending on where the transcribers are located. To ensure uninterrupted access to our resources, hubs must be placed in optimal locations.
After projects are complete, target and source content is removed from our servers. This certification certifies that it has been deleted.